TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Abrogation bibliography
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 03:15 
Site Admin

Thanks to Professor Al-Mi`yaar Al-Idreesi, who verified and introduced the manuscript by Abu-Ja`far Al-Khazraji entitled نفس الصباح في غريب القرآن وناسخه ومنسوخه, volume 1, pages 32-33, I got two more books that we can look at:

منهج القرآن في تنمية المجتمع، د. محمد البهي، دار الفكر للطباعة والنشر والتوزيع، بيروت، لبنان، ١٣٩٣هـ/١٩٧٤م
دينامية النص، د. أحمد مفتاح، المركز الثقافي العربي، بيروت، لبنان، ١٩٨٧م

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2010, 04:26 
Site Admin

Thanks to the reference section Dr. Ali Jum`a included in his book النسخ عند الأصوليين, I got a couple of books that we may want to study,

أحكام النسخ في الشريعة الإسلامية، د. محمد وفا، دار الطباعة المحمدية، ١٤٠٤هـ/١٩٨٤م
النسخ في دراسات الأصوليين، نادية العمري، مطبعة هجر، مصر

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2010, 11:32 

Excellent finds. Thanks.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2010, 22:51 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
More books:
5. "نفس الصباح في غريب القرآن وناسخه ومنسوخه" by Abu-Jaafar Ahmad Ibn Abd Al-Samad Ibn Abd Al-Haqq Al-Khazraji (أبو جعفر أحمد بن عبد الصمد بن عبد الحق الخزرجي), died 582 H., published in 1994 by the Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs in Morocco, edited/verified by Professor Muhammad Izzudeen Al-Me'yar Al-Idrisi. Parts I and II (total 812 pages).

Just now finished that book. It added a whole bunch of abrogation claims (total so far: 361!). Almost all of them are clearly without merit. Most of the book is a summary of what Makki said in his book الإيضاح and what An-Nahhaas said in his book الناسخ والمنسوخ. Al-Khazraji had no opinion on most claims, but he did agree with all claims about the sword verse.

I wouldn't recommend this book except for the student who wants to exhaust all abrogation claims. I was also unnerved by the many typos in the book, even typos in Quranic verses. That is doubly strange from a religious scholarly book since it was commissioned by King Al-Hasan II of Morocco. You'd think it would be better checked before publication.

The main value of the book, IMHO, is the vocabulary section, which is most of the book.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2010, 21:01 

Linguistic wrote:
Pragmatic wrote:
More books:
5. "نفس الصباح في غريب القرآن وناسخه ومنسوخه" by Abu-Jaafar Ahmad Ibn Abd Al-Samad Ibn Abd Al-Haqq Al-Khazraji (أبو جعفر أحمد بن عبد الصمد بن عبد الحق الخزرجي), died 582 H., published in 1994 by the Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs in Morocco, edited/verified by Professor Muhammad Izzudeen Al-Me'yar Al-Idrisi. Parts I and II (total 812 pages).

Just now finished that book. It added a whole bunch of abrogation claims (total so far: 361!). Almost all of them are clearly without merit. Most of the book is a summary of what Makki said in his book الإيضاح and what An-Nahhaas said in his book الناسخ والمنسوخ. Al-Khazraji had no opinion on most claims, but he did agree with all claims about the sword verse.

I wouldn't recommend this book except for the student who wants to exhaust all abrogation claims. I was also unnerved by the many typos in the book, even typos in Quranic verses. That is doubly strange from a religious scholarly book since it was commissioned by King Al-Hasan II of Morocco. You'd think it would be better checked before publication.

The main value of the book, IMHO, is the vocabulary section, which is most of the book.

Thank you for the effort and patience in going through this, and for the pointed review of the book. This is valuable to our study as it covers territory not covered by others, albeit territory that has little substance.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2010, 08:37 

There is a book that I am reluctant to mention since it is published by a fringe group, but for the sake of completeness I will include some of the points about abrogation mentioned by the author. There are some objectionable passages and weird views which I will just ignore.

"تنزيه آي القرآن عن النسخ والنقصان" by Hany Taher (هاني طاهر), published in 2000 by Al-Jama'a Al-Islamiya Al-Ahmadeya in the Sacred Homes. Author's email address Islamhani_at_hotmail.com (180 pages). Edit: The Internet copy is 126 pages.

The book does not seem to have an ISBN.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 15:58 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
More books:

1. "الناسخ والمنسوخ في الكتاب والسنة" by Abu-Ubaid Al-Qasem Ibn Salam (أبو عبيد القاسم بن سلام ), died 224 H. (not to be confused with Abu-Alqasem Hebatullah Ibn Salama, died 410 H.), published in 2006 by Dar Al-Kotob Al-Ilmeya in Beiurt, Lebanon. The book was edited/verified by Mostafa Abd-Alqader Atta (216 pages).

I just finished this book. It is good in reporting the narrations with full attribution chains and giving the full names of each narrator in the chain and how his credibility has been rated. That is quite helpful. I can recommend this book to students whose stage in studying abrogation is intermediate.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 22:13 

There is a book referenced in one of the books I read that seems to oppose the abrogation doctrine (abrogation of ruling but not recitation), but accepts that there may have been verses made to be forgotten or eliminated (abrogation of ruling and recitation), which is not a common position.

الرأي الصواب في منسوخ الكتاب (The correct opinion about the abrogated of the Book) by جواد موسى محمد عفانه (Jawad Afanah) , published by دار البشير (Dar Al-Basheer in Amman, Jordan) in 1992, 184 pages.

The author is attacked in some sites and described as 'seclutionist' (معتزلي).

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2010, 15:11 
Site Admin

Linguistic wrote:
حقيقة النسخ وطلاقة النص في القرآن، جمال صالح عطايا، دار الوفاء لدنيا الطباعة والنشر، الطبعة الأولى، ٢٠٠٧م

I have just finished reading this book and I can recommend it to students of abrogation. The author, Jamaal Saalih `Ataaya, has made many good arguments in refuting all 22 abrogation claims referred to by Jalaal-ud-Deen As-Suyooti in his book الإتقان في علوم القرآن. He also highlighted a number of points with elaborate discussions, such as the significance of open text and how that establishes principles or frameworks within which specific commands operate. Such frameworks define a sphere of thought and boundaries for rulings that enable a scholar or judge to arrive at conclusions that are consistent with what God intended. Such frameworks cannot be abrogated.

I also enjoyed his chapter proving that the Qibla command was never anything but toward Mecca, and that the Quran did not abrogate the Torah or the Gospel, it restored them. What it abrogated, or to be precise, corrected, is the Old and New Testaments. It is my humble view too.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010, 19:41 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
There is a book referenced in one of the books I read that seems to oppose the abrogation doctrine (abrogation of ruling but not recitation), but accepts that there may have been verses made to be forgotten or eliminated (abrogation of ruling and recitation), which is not a common position.

الرأي الصواب في منسوخ الكتاب (The correct opinion about the abrogated of the Book) by جواد موسى محمد عفانه (Jawad Afanah) , published by دار البشير (Dar Al-Basheer in Amman, Jordan) in 1992, 184 pages.

The author is attacked in some sites and described as 'seclutionist' (معتزلي).

I found one of those sites at http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vb/showthread.php?t=104563. Near the end of the page is the mention of this book and a discussion of Dr. Affaana's positions and the article's author's rebuttal of them.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next