TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Abrogation bibliography
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 19:44 
Site Admin

Linguistic wrote:
Found the publisher of Al-Jabri's first book, thanks to Haani Taahir who quoted him on page 75 of his book تنزيه آي القرآن عن النسخ والنقصان. It is
لانسخ في القرآن، لماذا؟ عبد المتعال الجبري، دار التضامن للطباعة، الطبعة الأولى، ١٩٨٠م

It is also published by Wahba Bookstore, 14 Al-Jumhuria Street, Abdeen, Cairo, Egypt, same year, 1980.

This is an excellent book and I highly recommend it to all students of the abrogation doctrine. The author, Abdul-Muta`aal Al-Jabri, presents the issue in a unique manner. He categorizes the claims into areas of Islamic law and Muslim life. By doing so, a picture emerges, and it ain't pretty, about the relationship between the claims and the consequences of accepting them.

I think I'll re-read the book and post the author's discussions of the impact of accepting each abrogation claim, on Muslim life and Islamic law. Kinda like what I attempted to do with the topics "Consequences of abrogation" and "Consequences of non-abrogation."

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2010, 04:00 

Linguistic wrote:
I think I'll re-read the book and post the author's discussions of the impact of accepting each abrogation claim, on Muslim life and Islamic law. Kinda like what I attempted to do with the topics "Consequences of abrogation" and "Consequences of non-abrogation."

This will be an excellent contribution. Al-Jabri is a pioneer in terms of the focus and vigor with which he opposed the abrogation doctrine at a time when such dissent was rare.

Post subject: Re: References
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2010, 19:05 
Site Admin

Linguistic wrote:

النسخ في القرآن الكريم للدكتور مصطفى زيد، طبعة ١٤٢٧هـ ٢٠٠٦م

I just finished reading and quoting this book. It is simply a must-have for any serious student of the abrogation doctrine. It is scholarly (a Ph.D. thesis), detailed and comprehensive.

It is a bit too long though. It could have easily been reduced in size, if the author had left out the discussion about abrogation in prior scriptures, since he named the book "Abrogation in the noble Quran." If I were on his advisory committee, I'd certainly have suggested that to him, since we have no authentic reference to prior scriptures, other than the Quran.

I also found the section about the linguistic meaning of the word naskh to be lacking, especially the part that shows the corresponding word in Hebrew. How can that be of value to this discussion? The irony is that the translations from Hebrew of all the examples he quoted mentioning the Hebrew word for naskh, none of these translations have actually used the Arabic word naskh!

Dr. Zayd, may God bless his soul, divided up his thesis nicely into categories of reasons why abrogation claims are bunk. That is a good approach, but it makes looking up a particular case in his book harder.

I think that his conclusions about the five cases he approved are mistaken, especially the prohibition of intoxication (5:90/4:43) case, which he seems to have added in a hurry as an afterthought. IMHO, the reason he had to find a few cases to approve is what he stated in his book in the beginning (volume 1, page 18), namely that he did not want to appear as an imitator of prior authors and adding nothing to their opinions, but he also did not want to upset his teachers, who believed in the abrogation doctrine!

BTW, the title of the Ph.D. thesis, according to Abu-Abdillah Muhammad Yusri, who helped Dr. Zayd, was المصلحة في التشريع الإسلامي (Benefit, as taught in Islamic law). Yusri hints at the sensitivity of the abrogation subject by saying, "Abrogation, in reality, is a cancellation of part of the law, when the foundation is to take the law as is from God!"

I did notice that one member of his advisory and examining doctoral committee was Ali Al-Khafeef, who was against the abrogation doctrine :)

Dr. Zayd acknowledges that he was shocked by what he read as he was researching the exegesis of Chapter 8! It was then that he decided to research the abrogation subject closely. He found that there were too many conflicting opinions about it and no consensus on any claim. He acknowledges that the reason he wrote such a long thesis was to fully analyze all the claims, since, he says, "abrogation cannot be based on analysis!" He is right, of course, but why then did he approve five claims based on analysis of narrations, none of which is attributed to the Prophet (PBUH)?

May God bless his soul, and reward him for his most valuable addition to the abrogation subject, according to his good intention.

Post subject: Re: References
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 19:00 

Linguistic wrote:
Linguistic wrote:
النسخ في القرآن الكريم للدكتور مصطفى زيد، طبعة ١٤٢٧هـ ٢٠٠٦م

I just finished reading and quoting this book. It is simply a must-have for any serious student of the abrogation doctrine. It is scholarly (a Ph.D. thesis), detailed and comprehensive.

Thank you for the objective, thorough commentary on Zaid's book. It was the first book I read in detail in this study, and it certainly saved tons of legwork for me. I have respect for Zaid even as I disagree, as you do, with the 5 abrogation claims that he approved of. Certainly the intoxication case was the weakest part of the entire book, to the level where I initially suspected it was an add-on to what he wrote.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2011, 16:15 
Site Admin

I have just now finished studying Abul-Qaasim Hibatullah ibn Salaama's book, الناسخ والمنسوخ في القرآن الكريم, published by Darul Hikma, Damascus, Syria, 1994.

The book, I'm sorry to say, is a waste of ink, paper and time. It is no more than a repeat of what others have written, especially Ibn Hazm Al-Andalusi. The author rarely mentioned why he thought a verse was abrogated. The book also has several typos in Quranic verses!

Prior to reading this book, I had the impression that Ibn Salaama never saw an abrogation claim he didn't like! I did the man injustice and I stand corrected; he only approved most of them! I was glad to add his name in the "Against" column in several claim discussions.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2011, 18:39 
Site Admin

I'm now reading a book by Dr. Husayn Nassaar,

د. حسين نصار، الناسخ والمنسوخ في القرآن الكريم، دار العالم العربي، مدينة نصر، القاهرة، مصر، 2010. رقم الإيداع: 2010/17070

ISBN 978-977-495-028-5.

Dr. Nassaar is a professor of literature at Cairo University, Egypt. He was born in Asyoot, Egypt in 1925 and received his Ph.D. in Arabic dictionary development in 1953. He authored 26 books, expounded on 20 classic books and translated 7 books.

He does not clearly state his position on the issue of abrogation in principle or on the abrogation doctrine in particular, but the reader gets the sense that he thinks the matter is misunderstood because of the semantic ambiguity of the word naskh, that writers have basically been talking above each other's head.

I can see his possible desire to reconcile the sharply differing opinions, but I respectfully disagree that this can be done. Several scholars have been unambiguous about what the abrogation doctrine means. They stated that some verses are no longer to be followed. That profound conclusion cannot possibly be reconciled.

My primary reservation about Dr. Nassaar's book is that he reports narrations without authentication. That takes away from the scholarship of the book. Several times he wrote, "they reported..." without one comment on who "they" were, or whether the narration is fabricated. He tells a narration, on page 17, attributed to Ja`far As-Saadiq, may God have been pleased with him, and another attributed to his son, Moosa Al-Kaazhim, which is a blasphemy! Yet, Dr. Nassaar does not even come to the defense of these two gentlemen by clearing their names from such a narration.

PostPosted: 12 May 2013, 18:57 
Site Admin

This is an interesting discussion thread on another forum rejecting the abrogation doctrine:

http://www.ye1.org/vb/showthread.php?t=342822

It is by a gentleman named Al-San`aani from Al-Majlis Al-Yamani.

PostPosted: 12 May 2013, 19:17 
Site Admin

I learned about the following manuscripts discussing abrogation:

جواب الناجي عن الناسخ والمنسوخ، للشيخ برهان الدين الناجي، المتوفى سنة (900هـ) يوجد منه نسخة في الخزانة التيمورية التابعة لدار الكتب المصرية تحت رقم مجاميع (207) كتبت سنة (1316ه)؛ـ

إرشاد الرحمن لأسباب النـزول والنسخ والمتشابه من القرآن، للشيخ عطية الله البرهاني الشافعي، فقيه فاضل من أهل أجهور، تعلم وتوفي بالقاهرة سنة (1190هـ)، يوجد لكتابه نسخة مخطوطة في الخزانة التيمورية تحت رقم (42) تفسير

الناسخ والمنسوخ، للإمام القاضي أبي عبد الله محمد بن عبد الله بن علي العامري، منه نسخة في المكتبة الأزهرية تحت رقم 27 المجاميع 736 ورقة

عمدة البيان في زبدة نواسخ القرآن، للشيخ محمد الرشيدي، يوجد منه نسخة في الخزانة التيمورية تحت رقم (مجاميع 127) كتب بخط مؤلفه سنة 1291هـ

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2013, 09:53 

Linguistic wrote:
الخزانة التيمورية التابعة لدار الكتب المصرية

المكتبة الأزهرية

Two libraries worth a vist.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 15:25 
Site Admin

Dr. Husayn Nassaar, in his book الناسخ والمنسوخ في القرآن الكريم, page 14, mentions a new name: Al-Bannoori, as a writer on abrogation. I wish he gave a full reference of his book.

I'm guessing he may be Muhammad Yoosuf Al-Bannoori (d. 1977), from Pakistan, who was a member of the Assembly of Islamic Studies in Egypt.

I may also guess that the title of his book on abrogation is تتمة البيان في مشكلات القرآن, mentioned on this web site.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next