TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Abrogation bibliography
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2013, 15:14 
Site Admin

I first encountered this as a web article. Now I found the book it is based on. It is by Dr. Muhammad Saalih `Ali Mustafa, published in Damascus in 1988,

النسخ في القرآن الكريم - مفهومه وتاريخه ودعاواه، الدكتور محمد صالح علي مصطفى، دار القلم، دمشق، 1988

It is a brief book, 72 pages, but has a wealth of information:

• An extensive historical time line of scholars who wrote about abrogation.
  • A good reference section.
  • A consistent methodology of analysis of claims: He states arguments for and arguments against each claim he presented. He discusses 23 of them.
  • Simple and quick refutation arguments.
  • Really excellent definitions, on page 14 in the footnotes, of generality (العام), brief (المجمل), absolute (المطلق), vague (المبهم), as well as types of specifiers of a generality, examples of limiting the absolute, explaining the vague and elaborating the brief.

His reference section gives these entries which I haven't seen elsewhere,

التبيان في علوم القرآن، الدكتور القصبي محمود زلط، دار الأنصار؛
دراسات الإحكام والنسخ في القرآن الكريم، محمد حمزة، دار قتيبة، بيروت؛
الزيادة والإحسان في علوم القرآن، جمال الدين محمد بن أحمد بن عقيلة المكي، مخطوطة 105 بمكتبة حكيم أوغلي علي باشا، تركيا؛
فهرست المخطوطات والمصورات، عمادة شؤون المكتبات، جامعة الإمام محمد بن سعود الإسلامية، ١٩٨٢م؛
معجم مصنفات القرآن الكريم، الدكتور علي شواخ إسحق، دار الرفاعي، الرياض ١٩٨٤م؛

Linguistic wrote:
I'm guessing he may be Muhammad Yoosuf Al-Bannoori (d. 1977), from Pakistan, who was a member of the Assembly of Islamic Studies in Egypt.

I may also guess that the title of his book on abrogation is تتمة البيان في مشكلات القرآن, mentioned on this web site.

I was right! in both guesses! Dr. Mustafa lists that book, with a slightly different title, in his reference section, page 69,

تتمة البيان في شيء من علوم القرآن، محمد يوسف البنوري، مجلس الدعوة والتحقيق الإسلامي، پاكستان، ١٩٧٦م

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013, 02:16 

Great finds. Is it possible to get the texts of these books? The timeline is particularly important.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013, 12:36 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Great finds. Is it possible to get the texts of these books? The timeline is particularly important.

I have his book. I'll try to see if the other books he references are available.

As for the timeline, I entered it all in the time line post (See the Bookmarks announcement).

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2013, 10:04 
Site Admin

I'm now studying this book,

صفوة الراسخ في علم المنسوخ والناسخ، للإمام أبي عبد الله شعلة، دار المناهل للطباعة، بولاق الدكرور، مصر 1995

It is verified by Dr. M. Ibrahim Abdur-Rahmaan Faaris, College of Education, Ayn Shams University (Egypt).

Dr. Ramadhaan Abdut-Tawwaab, also of Ayn Shams University, wrote an introduction to the book in which he said that the origin of the book is a manuscript found at the Taymooria library which has been attached to Daar-ul-Kutub (the Book House), the central store and registrar of book in Cairo, Egypt.

On page 84, Dr. Faaris reports two points about the manuscript that are disconcerting to me,
  1. It is written a full 117 years after Shu`la's death! The explanation Dr. Faaris offers is that it is a copy of Shu`la's manuscript. However, the copier of the manuscript has not stated that it is a copy, nor has identified himself!
  2. Stamps and signatures on the margins of the manuscript indicate that it was verified as a faithful copy of the original. But no names of who did the verification. The only names mentioned are of people who read it and found it beneficial.

Dr. Faaris is however confident that this is an authentic copy of Shu`la's book, so I'll defer to his judgment.

The book is hard-covered, in a beautiful golden brown cover and the title is written with an elegant font and framed in an elegant vignette. Just thought I'd mention that.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2013, 19:06 
Site Admin

Dr. M. Ibrahim Faaris, in his book صفوة الراسخ في علم المنسوخ والناسخ, page 39, mentions this book by renowned contemporary scholar Dr. Abdul-Mun`im An-Nimr, rahimahullah, which discusses the abrogation doctrine among other things,

علوم القرآن الكريم، للدكتور عبد المنعم النمر - نشر دار الكتاب المصري ودار الكتب الإسلامي - الطبعة الثانية ١٤٠٣ هـ - ١٩٨٣م

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2013, 15:06 
Site Admin

Linguistic wrote:
Thanks to Dr. Ali Jum`a who listed this book in the references section of his book النسخ عند الأصوليين, page 161, I have the publisher information and date of publication: Dar Al-Kitaab Al-Jaami`i 1976:
النسخ بين النفي والإثبات، د. محمد محمود فرغلي، دار الكتاب الجامعي، ١٣٩٦هـ/١٩٧٦م

Dr. M. Ibrahim Faaris mentions an additional publisher, in his book صفوة الراسخ في علم المنسوخ والناسخ, page 64, albeit without a publication date:

دار النهضة العربية

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2013, 15:17 
Site Admin

Linguistic wrote:
I'm now studying this book,

صفوة الراسخ في علم المنسوخ والناسخ، للإمام أبي عبد الله شعلة، دار المناهل للطباعة، بولاق الدكرور، مصر 1995

The author lists 87 books about abrogation in a historical bibliography on pages 54-65 of his book صفوة الراسخ في علم المنسوخ والناسخ, all of which except two are pro-abrogation.

He lists a book by "Abu-Muslim Al-Mu`tazili" called "الناسخ والمنسوخ". He does not call the author by his proper last name, Al-Asfahaani, but rather by his school of thought, the seclusionist.

The message is clear: he wants to impress the reader with the "consensus" of the scholars of the past, with one exception of a man with an unpopular school of thought. I'm sorry to tell him that I'm not impressed and that I resent the subtle slighting of a pious, knowledgeable and genius scholar of the Salaf.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2013, 01:31 

Linguistic wrote:
He lists a book by "Abu-Muslim Al-Mu`tazili" called "الناسخ والمنسوخ". He does not call the author by his proper last name, Al-Asfahaani, but rather by his school of thought, the seclusionist.

The message is clear: he wants to impress the reader with the "consensus" of the scholars of the past, with one exception of a man with an unpopular school of thought. I'm sorry to tell him that I'm not impressed and that I resent the subtle slighting of a pious, knowledgeable and genius scholar of the Salaf.

Sad. The underhanded ways of trying to 'win' an argument by undermining those who differ with you is the most concrete evidence to me of poor scholarship. That's the culture, though. Real sad given the sacred nature of the subject matter.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2013, 19:57 
Site Admin

I now finished studying Abu-Abdillah Shu`la's book صفوة الراسخ في علم المنسوخ والناسخ, verified and presented by Dr. M. Ibrahim Faaris. The book is short and often terse. In most claims discussed, Shu`la does not take either side and neither does Dr. Faaris.

One thing I consider an oversight is that the author rarely named the scholars whose opinions he referred to.

This book IMHO is not essential to a student of abrogation as it adds little to what other books before it have offered. But there are points of interest and worthy arguments which I highlighted in individual abrogation claim topics.

The book also contains a number of typos, from both the author and the verifier, as well as mis-references. A little more review of the book could have eliminated those.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 21:11 
Site Admin

I now finished reading and commenting on Abu-Bakr Al-Hamdaani's book الاعتبار في الناسخ والمنسوخ من الآثار, reviewed and verified by Sheikh Zakariya `Umayraat and published in 1996 by Dar Al-Kutub Al-Ilmiya of Beirut, Lebanon.

The book does not address the abrogation doctrine as we have defined it in this project, namely, the abrogation of a verse of the Quran by another verse of the Quran. Rather, it cites examples of the Quran abrogating a Sunna or a Sunna abrogating another Sunna. I am fine with these two types of abrogation, but opposed to the abrogation doctrine as defined above.

This book is a valuable resource for proving abrogation in the Sunna. It cites many examples that make the case clearly. While some examples cited do not rise up to the task, the rest do IMHO.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next