TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Did 24:2 abrogate 4:15-16?
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2010, 06:50 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 05 May 2009, 00:16
Posts: 1814
Location: USA
Here are the two verses for reference:


is claimed to have been abrogated by


The two verses in question, 4:15 and 24:2 address the legal penalty for fornication/adultery (not certain whether both verses are addressing the same legal offense, but I believe they do).

I don't see this as an instance of abrogation (naskh) since 4:15 is self delimiting. By 'self delimiting', I meant that the verse explicitly puts a time limit on its own ruling ("..until death claims them, or God ordains for them some other way.."). In other words, when the new verse was revealed, the first verse was not negated but complemented. There is no contradiction that needs to be resolved by having one of the verses go away.

I don't want us to sound like we are splitting hair here, so let me pin down the essence of this. If naskh (abrogation) had never been mentioned in the Quran or the sunna, people would have had no problem accepting the above two verses without any conflict, so I am wary that abrogation is being invoked unnecessarily. For there to be true abrogation, there has to be a conflict that cannot be resolved without tagging one of the verses as 'no longer valid'. After all, the other type of verses mentioned in the context of abrogation (in 2:106) are the forgotten verses, and these are patently no longer valid.

_________________
To translate is the best way to understand


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did 24:2 abrogate 4:15-16?
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2010, 14:48 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009, 16:10
Posts: 4480
Location: USA
I agree with your argument but I do see the point of the abrogationists here. If we apply the "no longer valid" litmus test, then we must say that 4:15 is no longer valid, because a judge cannot rule that a woman guilty of fornication may stay under house arrest until death; he must rule that she be flogged, because of 24:2. However, what they missed is that God says in 4:15, أو يجعل الله لهن سبيلا "or God makes for them a way [out]." The way out is specified by 24:2. That is what you're saying, isn't it?

_________________
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did 24:2 abrogate 4:15-16?
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2010, 19:30 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 05 May 2009, 00:16
Posts: 1814
Location: USA
Linguistic wrote:
However, what they missed is that God says in 4:15, أو يجعل الله لهن سبيلا "or God makes for them a way [out]." The way out is specified by 24:2. That is what you're saying, isn't it?

Exactly.

I would venture to say that the two verses together would imply that the woman should be kept in house arrest until the flogging penalty is administered, but I don't want to go into jurisprudence here. I just want to address the abrogation issue.

_________________
To translate is the best way to understand


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Who said what
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 18:20 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009, 16:10
Posts: 4480
Location: USA
For:
The majority including Ibn Abbaas, Qataada, Mujaahid and As-Suddi,
Muqaatil, Ikrima,
Muhammad ibn Jaabir (implied, according to Dr. Al-Husayni),
Al-Qaasim ibn Salaam,
An-Nahhaas,
Makki,
At-Tabari,
Ibn Al-Jawzi,
Abu-Abdillah Shu`la,
Ibn Hazm Al-Andalusi,
Abdullah ibn Al-Husayn and Yahya ibn Al-Husayn aka Al-Haadi (according to Aş-Şa`di),
Az-Zurqaani,
As-Suyooti (in one opinion in his Itqaan book),
Muhammad Al-Khudhari (Bek), according to Jamaal `Ataaya,
Dr. Mustafa Zayd,
Dr. Abdullah Ahmad Al-Husayni (implied),
Ali Hasan Al-Areedh,
Supreme Council on Islamic Affairs (Egypt),
Dr. Mannaa` Al-Qattaan.

Against:
Mujaahid (according to Al-Jabri),
Ibn Al`Arabi,
Abu-Muslim Al-Asfahaani,
Al-Fakhr Ar-Raazi, Az-Zamakhshari (implied),
Al-Mansoor Billah (who said it was the other way around, according to Aş-Şa`di),
As-Suyooti (implied by a second opinion in his exegesis, per Al-Ghaali, page 106),
Shah Waliullah Dehlvi,
Muhammad Abduh and M. Rasheed Ridha,
Muhammad Al-Khudhari (Bek), according to Haani Taahir and Al-Jabri,
Al-Jabri,
Basheer-ud-Deen Mahmood and Dr. Husayn An-Naqeeb (according to Haani Taahir),
Muhammad Al-Madani and Mahmood Shaltoot (according to Nada),
Dr. Ahmad Hijaazi As-Saqqa,
Dr. Az-Zalmi,
Dr. Muhammad Saalih Ali Mustafa,
Husaam Al-Ghaali,
M. M. Nada,
Dr. N.A. Tantaawi,
Ihab Hasan Abduh.
Dr. Ali Jum`a,
Jamaal `Ataaya,
Haani Taahir,
Dr. Muhammad Al-Bahiyy.

_________________
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did 24:2 abrogate 4:15-16?
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 07:38 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009, 16:10
Posts: 4480
Location: USA
Tantaawi presents a completely different explanation of these two verses, and I find his explanation compelling. Here is what he says:

النموذج الرابع:
قال تعالى:
"وَاللاَّتِي يَأْتِينَ الْفَاحِشَةَ مِن نِّسَآئِكُمْ فَاسْتَشْهِدُواْ عَلَيْهِنَّ أَرْبَعةً مِّنكُمْ فَإِن شَهِدُواْ فَأَمْسِكُوهُنَّ فِي الْبُيُوتِ حَتَّىَ يَتَوَفَّاهُنَّ الْمَوْتُ أَوْ يَجْعَلَ اللّهُ لَهُنَّ سَبِيلاً وَاللَّذَانَ يَأْتِيَانِهَا مِنكُمْ فَآذُوهُمَا فَإِن تَابَا وَأَصْلَحَا فَأَعْرِضُواْ عَنْهُمَا إِنَّ اللّهَ كَانَ تَوَّابًا رَّحِيمًا" (النساء:١٥-١٦)
يدعى البعض بأن هاتين الآيتين منسوختان بآية النور التي يقول الله فيها: "الزانية والزاني فاجلدوا كل واحد منهما مائة جلدة" (النور:٢)
فيقول من يدعي النسخ إن آيتا النساء قد نزلتا في عقاب الزاني والزانية ثم نسخها الله بآية النور. وهذا كذب على الله وقول في دين الله بغير علم، وفرية من الفقهاء ليس لهم عليها أي برهان أو دليل لا من القرآن ولا حتى من الأحاديث التي ينسبوها إلى الرسول، ويعتبرونها المصدر الثاني للتشريع. ومن يقرأ الآيتين اللتين وردتا في سورة النساء يرى أن الآيتين ليست لهما أي صلة بالزنا بين الرجل والمرأة. فالآية الأولى تتحدث عن النساء على حدة، والآية الثانية تتحدث عن الرجال على حدة. أما الآية الأولى يقول الله فيها: (وَاللاَّتِي يَأْتِينَ الْفَاحِشَةَ مِن نِّسَآئِكُمْ فَاسْتَشْهِدُواْ عَلَيْهِنَّ أَرْبَعةً مِّنكُمْ فَإِن شَهِدُواْ فَأَمْسِكُوهُنَّ فِي الْبُيُوتِ حَتَّىَ يَتَوَفَّاهُنَّ الْمَوْتُ أَوْ يَجْعَلَ اللّهُ لَهُنَّ سَبِيلاً)
ففي هذه الآية كان الحديث عن النساء فقط، واشتملت هذه الآية على الأحكام التالية:
١- النساء اللاتي يأتين الفاحشة.
٢- شهادة أربعة على تلك الفاحشة.
٣- العقوبة تكون بالإمساك في البيوت حتى الموت أو يجعل الله لهن سبيلا.
أما الآية الثانية قال تعالى فيها: "وَاللَّذَانَ يَأْتِيَانِهَا مِنكُمْ فَآذُوهُمَا فَإِن تَابَا وَأَصْلَحَا فَأَعْرِضُواْ عَنْهُمَا إِنَّ اللّهَ كَانَ تَوَّابًا رَّحِيمًا" وفي هذه الآية عدة أحكام:
١- اللذان اسم موصول للمثنى المذكر.
٢- عقوبتهما الإيذاء حتى التوبة والإصلاح.
٣- هذه الآية لم تتحدث عن النساء مطلقا.
٤- كان نص الآية بصيغة المثنى المذكر وجاءت ألفاظها تشير إلى ذلك: "اللذان – يأتيانها – فآذوهما – تابا – أصلحا – عنهما".
إذن فقد تبين لنا من هاتين الآيتين أنهما لم تردا في الزنا كما يقول الفقهاء، ولاحظنا أن الآية الأولى تتحدث عن النساء فقط، والثانية عن الرجال فقط. ولكل منهما عقوبة تختلف عن الأخرى. فلو كان ورود الآيتين في حد الزنا كما يزعم الفقهاء، فلماذا تحدثت الآية الأولى عن النساء منفردة، والآية الثانية تحدثت عن الرجال منفردة بلفظ المثنى المذكر؟ ولو قال قائل إن الآية الثانية تخاطب الرجل والمرأة معا، نقول له إذن قد جمع الله على المرأة عقوبتين: عقوبة الإمساك في البيوت والإيذاء وهذا محال فهمه من سياق الآيتين. أما حقيقة الآية الأولى فقد وردت في عقوبة الفاحشة بين النساء وبعضهن البعض، أو ما يسمى بالسحاق، والآية الثانية وردت في عقوبة الرجلين اللذين يفعلا الفاحشة مع بعضهما البعض، أو ما يسمى باللواط

Brief translation:
4:15 talks about fornication/adultery between two women and 4:16 talks about fornication/adultery between two men, neither one talks about heterosexual fornication/adultery. His evidence is that 4:15 does not mention men at all, only women, and 4:16 talks about two men specifically and no mention of women. Thus, 4:15-16 talk about homosexual sins while 24:2 talks about heterosexual sin. Since they talk about two different crimes, neither verse can abrogate the other.

_________________
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did 24:2 abrogate 4:15-16?
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 07:50 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 05 May 2009, 00:16
Posts: 1814
Location: USA
Linguistic wrote:
4:15 talks about fornication/adultery between two women and 4:16 talks about fornication/adultery between two men, neither one talks about heterosexual fornication/adultery. His evidence is that 4:15 does not mention men at all, only women, and 4:16 talks about two men specifically and no mention of women. Thus, 4:15-16 talk about homosexual sins while 24:2 talks about heterosexual sin. Since they talk about two different crimes, neither verse can abrogate the other.

Remarkable that this went unnoticed. I think the abrogation case is completely gone even before this interpretation, but the dilemma now is how to interpret the Hadeeth that is narrated about the Prophet (PBUH) saying "God ordained for them [another] way" (evidently referring to the expression in 4:15) at the time of revelation of 24:2.

_________________
To translate is the best way to understand


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did 24:2 abrogate 4:15-16?
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 00:34 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009, 16:10
Posts: 4480
Location: USA
Pragmatic wrote:
but the dilemma now is how to interpret the Hadeeth that is narrated about the Prophet (PBUH) saying "God ordained for them [another] way" (evidently referring to the expression in 4:15) at the time of revelation of 24:2.

Here is the hadeeth, reported by Muslim and Ibn Maajah, both rating it Saheeh (authentic), and narrated by Ubaada Ibn As-Saamit,

حدثنا بكر بن خلف أبو بشر حدثنا يحيى بن سعيد عن سعيد بن أبي عروبة عن قتادة عن يونس بن جبير عن حطان بن عبد الله عن عبادة بن الصامت قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم خذوا عني قد جعل الله لهن سبيلا البكر بالبكر جلد مائة وتغريب سنة والثيب بالثيب جلد مائة والرجم

Brief translation: The Prophet (PBUH) said, "Take from me; God has made for them a way: The unmarried with the unmarried - a hundred floggings and a year expulsion; the married with the married - a hundred floggings and stoning."

Dr. Tantaawi comments that this does not sound like a way out, because it adds punishment to what was already specified, namely it adds a hundred floggings. It would have been a way out if, for instance, the hundred floggings replaced the year expulsion.

One consideration left undiscussed is that this hadeeth may be the final say in the issue referenced in 4:15, but not in 4:16! That would make this hadeeth abrogate 24:2 as well, because 24:2 does not talk about stoning and does not add a year of expulsion to the flogging.

The other consideration is that this hadeeth does not specify a punishment for an unmarried person fornicating with a married person.

_________________
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did 24:2 abrogate 4:15-16?
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 03:38 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 05 May 2009, 00:16
Posts: 1814
Location: USA
Linguistic wrote:
Pragmatic wrote:
but the dilemma now is how to interpret the Hadeeth that is narrated about the Prophet (PBUH) saying "God ordained for them [another] way" (evidently referring to the expression in 4:15) at the time of revelation of 24:2.

Here is the hadeeth, reported by Muslim and Ibn Maajah, both rating it Saheeh (authentic), and narrated by Ubaada Ibn As-Saamit,

حدثنا بكر بن خلف أبو بشر حدثنا يحيى بن سعيد عن سعيد بن أبي عروبة عن قتادة عن يونس بن جبير عن حطان بن عبد الله عن عبادة بن الصامت قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم خذوا عني قد جعل الله لهن سبيلا البكر بالبكر جلد مائة وتغريب سنة والثيب بالثيب جلد مائة والرجم

That would imply that this hadeeth is the final say in the issue referenced in 4:15, but not in 4:16

If we focus only on the abrogation issue, notwithstanding the huge importance of the other issues involved in this case, the fact that the hadeeth is self contained and not a context for the revelation of 24:2 removes the dilemma that I referred to. As far as the abrogation claim is concerned, which is confined by the scholars to 4:15 for whatever reason, the self-delimiting aspect of 4:15 rules out abrogation regardless of the implied what to do to whom in 4:15 or any other verse or hadeeth.

_________________
To translate is the best way to understand


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did 24:2 abrogate 4:15-16?
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 18:58 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009, 16:10
Posts: 4480
Location: USA
This is what Ibn Al-Jawzi writes in his book, "Nawaasikh Al-Qur'aan" and it reflects the prevailing theory and the division of opinions at his time,

ذكر الآية السادسة والسابعة: قوله تعالى "واللاتي يأتين الفاحشة من نسائكم"، وقوله "واللذان يأتيانها منكم فآذوهما" الآيتان. أما الآية الأولى فإنها دلت على أن حد الزانية كان أول الإسلام الحبس إلى أن تموت أو يجعل الله لها سبيلا، وهوعام في البكر والثيب. والآية الثانية اقتضت أن حد الزانيين الأذى، فظهر من الآيتين أن حد المرأة كان الحبس والأذى جميعا، وحد الرجل كان الأذى فقط، لأن الحبس ورد خاصا في النساء والأذى ورد عاما في الرجل والمرأة، وإنما خص النساء في الآية الأولى بالذكر لأنهن ينفردن بالحبس دون الرجال، وجمع بينهما في الآية الثانية لأنهما يشتركان في الأذى.

ولا يختلف العلماء في نسخ هذين الحكمين عن الزانيين أعني الحبس والأذى، وإنما اختلفوا بماذا نسخا. فقال قوم نسخا بقوله تعالى "الزانية والزاني فاجلدوا كل واحد منهما مائة جلدة". أخبرنا المبارك بن علي قال أبنا أحمد بن الحسين بن قريش قال أبنا أبو إسحاق البرمكي قال أبنا محمد بن إسماعيل بن العباس قال بنا أبو بكر بن أبي داود قال بنا يعقوب بن سفيان قال بنا أبو صالح قال حدثني معاوية بن صالح عن علي ابن طلحة عن ابن عباس رضي الله عنهما "واللاتي يأتين الفاحشة من نسائكم فاستشهدوا عليهن أربعة منكم"، قال: كانت المرأة إذا زنت حبست في البيت حتى تموت، وكان الرجل إذا زنى أوذي بالتعبير والضرب بالنعال، فنزلت "الزانية والزاني فاجلدوا كل واحد منهما مائة جلدة"، وإن كانا محصنين رجما بسنة رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم. أخبرنا عبد الوهاب الحافظ قال أبنا أبو طاهر الباقلاوي قال أبنا أبو علي بن شاذان قال أبنا عبد الرحمن بن الحسن قال أبنا إبراهيم بن الحسين قال بنا آدم قال بنا ورقاء عن ابن أبي نجيح عن مجاهد "فآذوهما" يعني سبا، ثم نسختها "الزانية والزاني فاجلدوا كل واحد منهما مائة جلدة". أخبرنا إسماعيل بن أحمد قال بنا عمر بن عبيد الله قال بنا ابن بشران قال أبنا إسحاق بن أحمد قال عبد الله بن أحمد بن حنبل قال حدثني أبي قال بنا عبد الرزاق قال بنا معمر عن قتادة "فأمسكوهن في البيوت حتى يتوفاهن الموت" قال نسختها الحدود. قال أحمد وبنا عبد الوهاب عن سعيد عن قتادة "واللاتي يأتين الفاحشة من نسائكم"! قال كانت هذه الآية قبل الحدود ثم أنزلت "واللذان يأتيانها منكم فآذوهما" قال كانا يؤذيان بالقول والشم وتحبس المرأة، ثم إن الله تعالى نسخ ذلك فقال "الزانية والزاني فاجلدوا كل واحد منهما مائة جلدة". قال أحمد وبنا علي بن حفص عن ابن أبي نجيح عن مجاهد "واللذان يأتيانها منكم فآذوهما" قال نسخته الآية التي في النور بالحد المفروض.

قال قوم نسخ هذان الحكمان بحديث عبادة بن الصامت عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم أنه قال "خذوا عني خذوا عني قد جعل الله لهن سبيلا الثيب بالثيب جلد مائة ورجم بالحجارة والبكر بالبكر جلد مائة ونفي سنة". قالوا فنسخت الآية بهذا الحديث. وهؤلاء يجيزون نسخ القرآن بالسنة، وهذا قول مطرح لأنه لو جاز نسخ القرآن بالسنة لكان ينبغي أن يشترط التواتر في ذلك الحديث، فأما أن ينسخ القرآن بأخبار الآحاد فلا يجوز ذلك وهو من
أخبار الآحاد. وقال الآخرون السبيل الذي جعل الله لهن هو الآية "الزانية والزاني فاجلدوا كل واحد منهما مائة جلدة". قال آخرون بل السبيل قرآن نزل ثم رفع رسمه وبقي حكمه، وظاهر حديث عبادة يدل على ذلك لأنه قال "أو يجعل الله لهن سبيلا"، فأخبر أن الله تعالى جعل لهن السبيل الظاهر أنه بوحي بل تستقر تلاوته، وهذا يخرج على قول من لا يرى نسخ القرآن بالسنة وقد اختلف. الأول أنه نزل به قرآن ثم نسخ لفظه وانعقد الإجماع على بقاء حكمه، والثاني أنه ثبت بالسنة


Interesting that when you start out with an assumption, you can build an entire set of arguments that is all invalid once you realize that the assumption was wrong. Tantaawi's explanation, quoted in a previous post, makes a compelling argument why 4:15 does not even talk about heterosexual fornication/adultery, which is the subject of 24:2. That thought never occurred to those scholars. I suppose because homosexuality was a rare occurrence?

_________________
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did 24:2 abrogate 4:15-16?
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 22:09 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 05 May 2009, 00:16
Posts: 1814
Location: USA
Linguistic wrote:
Interesting that when you start out with an assumption, you can build an entire set of arguments that is all invalid once you realize that the assumption was wrong. Tantaawi's explanation, quoted in a previous post, makes a compelling argument why 4:15 does not even talk about heterosexual fornication/adultery, which is the subject of 24:2. That thought never occurred to those scholars. I suppose because homosexuality was a rare occurrence?

The interpretation of


as being about a male in a heterosexual fornication, complementing 4:15 which would be about the female part of that fornication, is indefensible. How is that interpretation possible with 4:16 explicitly saying "the two who commit it." If 4:16 is talking about males only, that's two males so it's not heterosexual. If it's not talking about males only, then it includes a female and that interferes with the rest of the interpretation of 4:15. There is simply no way out of that.

_________________
To translate is the best way to understand


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 20:29

All times are UTC

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group