TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Abrogation bibliography
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2014, 19:54 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
I wish we could dig up some of the original writings about abrogation of two scholars:

• Shah Waliullah (the widely respected scholar who reduced the number of abrogated verses to 5).

• Abu-Muslim Al-Asfahani (the often dismissed early scholar who does not believe in the abrogation doctrine in principle).

I have not been successful in my search so far.

You found both, as you told me. Thanks for your perseverance. Shah waliullah (Dehlvi)'s book is available at https://ia601001.us.archive.org/33/items/abuyaala_fawz_dahlawi/fawz_dahlawi.pdf and Al-Asfahaani's exegesis is available at http://www.4shared.com/file/60343575/cfd450d1/___.html. Here are its particulars,
تفسير أبي مسلم الأصفهاني (موسوعة تفاسير المعتزلة ٢)، أبو مسلم الأصفهاني، الأصل مفقود ، حوالي 900 م

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2014, 17:07 
Site Admin

I got Ibn Al`Arabi's book and I'm studying it now. Here is its information,

الناسخ والمنسوخ، محمد بن عبد الله ابن العربي المعافري، تحقيق رضى فرج الهمامي، المكتبة العصرية، صيدا، لبنان، 2005

ISBN 9953-34-218-0

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 19:59 
Site Admin

Al-Jabri, in his book الناسخ والمنسوخ بين الإثبات والنفي, pages 121-126, lists several authors who have been cited by pro-abrogation scholars and says that their original writings about abrogation are nowhere to be found, or only a few pages have survived from their books that do not allow a correct deduction of what they meant by naskh. Among these names are prominent scholars often cited by the pro-abrogation folk, such as Qataada, Az-Zuhri, `Ataa' Al-Khuraasaani, Ibn Zayd, Ibn Al-Anbaari, Ibn Al-Hasaar and Al-Ajhoori.

However, he also included Abu-`Ubayd Al-Qaasin ibn Salaam in that list and we know that his book is available in its entirety.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2017, 21:11 

The book Abrogation between affirmation and denial by Dr. Muhammad Mahmoud Farghali (Dar Alketab Aljame'i, 1976, two parts in one bound volume, total about 350 pages)
النسخ بين الإثبات والنفى ، د. محمد محمود فرغلى ، دار الكتاب الجامعى ، ١٩٧٦
provides an interesting treatment of the subject and has an interesting format. It takes a topic within the general abrogation discussion and provides detailed quotes for and against, followed by a "verdict" by the author. There are 20 topics that get this treatment. Some are related to the abrogation doctrine, and some are about other types of abrogation and related issues. Some are highly technical, bordering on philosophical with no practical impact.

The book came out of a research thesis that the author prepared as part of an academic promotion requirement. He mentions that he was reluctant to take on this topic because of the large disagreements about it.

The most useful parts of the book are the many detailed quotes from books that are not easy to find. The verdicts that the author reached are largely what he states as the majority opinion, and his arguments for why this is the correct verdict are not crisp most of the time, IMHO. He attacks and dismisses dissenters in harsh terms without solid reasoning to back it up. In the rare case where the dissenter was unassailable (Imam Shafe'i about what can abrogate what), he adopts an astoundingly labored argument that what Shafe'i explicitly said is not what he really meant.

Intellectually, there is no comparison between this book and Zeid's far more scholarly book. I appreciated the accuracy in quoting people including those with opposing opinions, but I felt that the personal attacks on them were not warranted at all. The author went as far as hoping that the "authorities" will prevent the anti-abrogation books from being published because of their harm.

Finally, let me mention that the author's good intention came through his writing in spite of engaging in personal attacks. He seemed to be genuinely bothered by the opposing opinions that deviate from the majority, but I got the distinct impression that he did not have an iota of malice or arrogance in what he wrote. May God reward him for the knowledge that he accumulated and propagated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12