TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 8:5-8
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009, 08:53 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 8:5-8
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 04:36 
Site Admin

Quote:
{8:5} [It is] just as when your Lord brought you out of your home [for the battle of Badr] in truth, while indeed, a party among the believers were unwilling,

I suggest,
{8:5} Like when your Lord brought you out [, O Muhammad,] of your home [for the battle of Badr] in truth, while verily, a segment among the believers surely are averse,

Quote:
{8:6} Arguing with you concerning the truth after it had become clear, as if they were being driven toward death while they were looking on.

I suggest,
{8:6} They argue with you concerning the truth after it had become clear, as if they were being driven toward death while they were looking on.

Quote:
{8:7} [Remember, O believers], when God promised you one of the two groups - that it would be yours - and you wished that the unarmed one would be yours. But God intended to establish the truth by His words and to eliminate the disbelievers

I suggest,
{8:7} [Remember, O believers,] as God promises you one of the two [enemy] bevies - that it would be yours - and you wish that the one without armory would be yours. But God wants to establish the truth by His words and sever the trail of the disbelievers,

Quote:
{8:8} That He should establish the truth and abolish falsehood, even if the criminals disliked it.

I suggest,
{8:8} So that He may establish the truth and abolish falsehood, even if the criminals might hate [that].

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 07:12 

Linguistic wrote:
I suggest,
{8:8} So that He may establish the truth and abolish falsehood, even if the criminals might hate [that].

Interesting how the Arabic verbs are derived from the same origin as the nouns (truth and falsehood), but there is no syntactic equivalent in English.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 13:14 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Linguistic wrote:
I suggest,
{8:8} So that He may establish the truth and abolish falsehood, even if the criminals might hate [that].

Interesting how the Arabic verbs are derived from the same origin as the nouns (truth and falsehood), but there is no syntactic equivalent in English.

You bring up an excellent point. In English, we can say "validate the valid and invalidate the invalid", but it would be bland, while in Arabic, it is very eloquent.