TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 8:9-11
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009, 08:53 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 8:9-11
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 04:50 
Site Admin

Quote:
{8:9} [Remember] when you asked help of your Lord, and He answered you, "Indeed, I will reinforce you with a thousand from the angels, following one another."

Yusuf Ali used a great word to translate تستغيثون, I like to use it:
{8:9} [Remember] when you implored your Lord and He answered you, "Indeed, I will reinforce you with a thousand of the angels, following one another."

Quote:
{8:10} And God made it not but good tidings and so that your hearts would be assured thereby. And victory is not but from God. Indeed, God is Exalted in Might and Wise.

I suggest,
{8:10} And God did not set it up [that way] except as glad tiding and so that would calm down thereby your hearts. And victory is not but from God. Verily, God is Almighty, Wise.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 07:07 

Linguistic wrote:
Quote:
{8:9} [Remember] when you asked help of your Lord, and He answered you, "Indeed, I will reinforce you with a thousand from the angels, following one another."

Yusuf Ali used a great word to translate تستغيثون, I like to use it:
{8:9} [Remember] when you implored your Lord and He answered you, "Indeed, I will reinforce you with a thousand of the angels, following one another."

I agree with "implore." I suggest "extend" instead of "reinforce" as a more accurate translation.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 03:09 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
I agree with "implore." I suggest "extend" instead of "reinforce" as a more accurate translation.

"Extend" is very good, so you suggest,
{8:9} [Remember] when you implored your Lord and He answered you, "Indeed, I will extend you a thousand of the angels, following one another."?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 07:20 

Linguistic wrote:
"Extend" is very good, so you suggest,
{8:9} [Remember] when you implored your Lord and He answered you, "Indeed, I will extend you a thousand of the angels, following one another."?

This will work, but I think adding "with" would be more accurate. Also, why "following one another"? The meaning seems to me to be following the believers (as reinforcement). At least the possibility of that meaning should be left open. I suggest

{8:9} [Remember] when you implored your Lord and He answered you, "Indeed, I will extend you with a thousand of the angels in tow."

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 16:17 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
This will work, but I think adding "with" would be more accurate. Also, why "following one another"? The meaning seems to me to be following the believers (as reinforcement). At least the possibility of that meaning should be left open. I suggest

{8:9} [Remember] when you implored your Lord and He answered you, "Indeed, I will extend you with a thousand of the angels in tow."

How about,
{8:9} [Remember] when you implored your Lord and He answered you, "Indeed, I will extend to you a thousand of the angels in tow."

I like your suggestion of "in tow." Your point that the angels may be following the believers is certainly valid, even more likely than following one another.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009, 07:05 

Linguistic wrote:
How about,
{8:9} [Remember] when you implored your Lord and He answered you, "Indeed, I will extend to you a thousand of the angels in tow."

Excellent. To make it even more excellent :D, I suggest

{8:9} [Remember] when you implored your Lord and He answered you, "Indeed, I am extending to you a thousand of the angels in tow."

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009, 15:51 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Excellent. To make it even more excellent :D, I suggest

{8:9} [Remember] when you implored your Lord and He answered you, "Indeed, I am extending to you a thousand of the angels in tow."

That is more excellent! Thanks.

I'd like now to translate the fact that the quote is an indirect speech. Thus, I don't want to use quotation marks. I also want to use a present participle for "in tow" to match the Arabic. Finally, I'm thinking that "supplying" is even better than "extending". So, how about:

{8:9} [Remember] as you implore your Lord and He answered you that I am supplying you with a thousand of the angels following along.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2014, 19:59 
Site Admin

Quote:
{8:11} [Remember] when He overwhelmed you with drowsiness [giving] security from Him and sent down upon you from the sky, rain by which to purify you and remove from you the evil [suggestions] of Satan and to make steadfast your hearts and plant firmly thereby your feet.

I suggest,
{8:11} As He covers you with slumber as reassurance from Him and keeps sending down upon you, from the sky, water to purify you thereby and drive away from you the scourge of Satan and to brace your hearts and plant firmly thereby the feet.