TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 8:45-47
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009, 08:49 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 8:45-47
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2009, 03:53 
Site Admin

Quote:
{8:46} And obey God and His Messenger, and do not dispute and [thus] lose courage and [then] your strength would depart; and be patient. Indeed, God is with the patient.

Instead of "strength", why not use "wind," a literal translation that is even today used in English to mean strength? As in saying "the runner got a second wind." I suggest,
{8:46} And obey God and His Messenger, and do not dispute and [thus] lose courage and [then] your wind (strength) would go away; and be patient. Indeed, God is with the patient.

Quote:
{8:47} And do not be like those who came forth from their homes insolently and to be seen by people and avert [them] from the way of God. And God is encompassing of what they do.

The last sentence can be structured to echo the word order of the Arabic without losing meaning or clarity. I suggest,
{8:47} And do not be like those who came forth from their homes insolently and [only] to be seen by people and they avert from the way of God. And God, of what they do, is encompassing.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010, 07:36 

Linguistic wrote:
Quote:
{8:46} And obey God and His Messenger, and do not dispute and [thus] lose courage and [then] your strength would depart; and be patient. Indeed, God is with the patient.

Instead of "strength", why not use "wind," a literal translation that is even today used in English to mean strength? As in saying "the runner got a second wind." I suggest,
{8:46} And obey God and His Messenger, and do not dispute and [thus] lose courage and [then] your wind (strength) would go away; and be patient. Indeed, God is with the patient.

I suggest

{8:46} And obey God and His Messenger, and do not dispute [and] thus fail and your wind be gone; and be patient. Indeed, God is with the patient.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 04:46 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
I suggest

{8:46} And obey God and His Messenger, and do not dispute [and] thus fail and your wind be gone; and be patient. Indeed, God is with the patient.

I like that. However, I do see the point for the translation "lose courage." Consider,

In that verse, "losing courage" came first while failure never comes first. I know that colloquially, the verb is automatically translated "to fail" but the formal Arabic word for "to fail" is خاب, not فشل. So, I suggest,
{8:46} And obey God and His Messenger, and do not dispute [and] thus lose courage and your wind be gone; and be patient. Indeed, God is with the patient.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2015, 21:48 
Site Admin

To sum up, I suggest,

{8:45} O you who have believed, when you have encountered a set [of attacking personnel], then stay firm and remember God much that you may prosper.

{8:46} And obey God and His Messenger, and do not dispute [and] thus fizzle and your wind be gone; and endure. Verily, God is with the enduring.

{8:47} And do not be like those who came out of their homes insolently and in a show-off to people and they shun from the way of God. And God, of what they do, is encompassing.