TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 2:183-185
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 08:16 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 2:183-185
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2009, 18:59 
Site Admin

Quote:
{2:183} O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous -

I suggest,
{2:183} O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that perhaps you may watch out [for God] -

Quote:
{2:184} [Fasting for] a limited number of days. So whoever among you is ill or on a journey [during them] - then an equal number of days [are to be made up]. And upon those who are able [to fast, but with hardship] - a ransom [as substitute] of feeding a poor person [each day]. And whoever volunteers excess - it is better for him. But to fast is best for you, if you only knew.

I think the translation of يطيقونه as "able, but with hardship" is correct but the interjection that follows it forces the interpretation that the object is the fasting. The object could very well be the ransom فدية. This latter interpretation was recognized by three out of the four alternative translations we include here. I like Sarwar's translation of فدية as redemption.

So, in order to avoid limiting of the interpretation, I suggest,

{2:184} Numbered days. So whoever among you was ill or on a journey [during them] - then a[n equal] number of other days [are to be fasted]. And upon those who can hardly bear it is a ransom: a feeding of a poor [person]. And whoever volunteers better - it is better for him. And to fast is better for you, if you would know.

Quote:
{2:185} The month of Ramadan [is that] in which was revealed the Quran, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights [the new moon of] the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of other days. God intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and [wants] for you to complete the period and to glorify God for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful.

This translation forces an interpretation of شهد (witnessed) as "sighted the new moon." I disagree with that interpretation because if it were true then it follows that whoever does not sight the new moon does not have to fast the month!

The word means "witnessed" or "was present", which is what the alternative translations have recognized. This direct translation "was present" is further confirmed by the subsequent sentence which addresses those who are not present, i.e., traveling.

I am inclined to write "Ramadan" as "Ramadhaan" in order to be consistent with the transliteration rules that I have followed throughout, in order to ensure correct pronunciation of the word. However, the spelling "Ramadan" has become well known to the English reader and correctly pronounced, so I'm gonna leave it as is.

I suggest,
{2:185} The month of Ramadan [is that] in which was sent down the Quran, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and discernment. So whoever was present during the month, then let him fast it; and whoever was ill or on a journey - then a[n equal] number of other days. God wants for you ease and does not want for you hardship and [wants] for you to complete the count [of fasting days] and to glorify God for what He has guided you; and perhaps you may thank.