TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 2:120-121
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 08:24 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 2:120-121
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2009, 16:40 
Site Admin

Quote:
{2:120} And never will the Jews or the Christians approve of you until you follow their religion. Say, "Indeed, the guidance of God is the [only] guidance." If you were to follow their desires after what has come to you of knowledge, you would have against God no protector or helper.

Two comments regarding the italicized words:

The Arabic does not refer to the "religion" of the Jews and the Christians. It specifically used the word ملة, which means custom, ethnicity, or denomination.

"Protector" translates مولى, not ولي. The latter is better translated "ally."

My suggestion for a translation is,

{2:120} And never will the Jews nor the Christians approve of you until you follow their denomination. Say, "Indeed, the guidance of God is the [only] guidance." If you were to follow their desires after what has come to you of knowledge, you would have against God no ally nor helper.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2009, 01:58 

Linguistic wrote:
The Arabic does not refer to the "religion" of the Jews and the Christians. It specifically used the word ملة, which means custom, ethnicity, or denomination.

The most use in the Quran of ملة is in reference to Abraham (PBUH) and I find denomination to be lacking in dealing with those instances. I thought of way or approach, but I am inclined towards doctrine.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2009, 03:45 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
The most use in the Quran of ملة is in reference to Abraham (PBUH) and I find denomination to be lacking in dealing with those instances. I thought of way or approach, but I am inclined towards doctrine.

Doctrine is an excellent translation. "Way" would be another good translation, but it translates سُنَّة so well, I'd like to reserve it for it.

So, I suggest:

{2:120} And never will approve of you the Jews nor the Christians until you follow their doctrine. Say, "Verily, the guidance of God is the [only] guidance." And if you were to follow their fancies after what has come to you of knowledge, you would not have against God any ally nor helper.

{2:121} Those to whom We have granted the Book recite it a true recital of it. Those believe in it. And whoever disbelieves in it - then it is those who are the losers.